Residents are represented in Second Life by avatars which are human in appearance but may be of either sex and have a wide variety of humanoid of other forms. Avatars communicate through two main methods of text communication: local chat and instant messaging.
Some interesting facts about Second Life
- There are over 9.1 million residents (as of August 2007).
- 9,195 islands were added during July 2007.
- The currency of Second Life, the Linden Dollar, can be converted to US dollars at several Linden Dollar exchanges (sparking the interest of various taxation departments around the world).
- The Maldives was the first country to open an embassy in Second Life.
For more information on Second Life, go to:
Watch the following video demonstrations on YouTube:
- Ohio State University Second Life campus
- Introduction to Second Life
- Murdoch University on Second Life
- Info Island: Second Life Library 2.0
- SimTeach: Universities and private islands in Second Life
- SimTeach: Institutions and organizations in Second Life
- Get a First Life: a parody of Second Life
View some of the videos and articles under the Discovery Resources link. You may want to write about one of the following on your blog:
- How can Swinburne university library use Second Life?
- How does this relate to the future of learning in a university?